I know many of us, lumia 800 owners, are quite annoyed by the "no updates found" or "your phone is up to date" messages by your phone and Zune where in fact there areupdates available. Me included. But not until last night when I started wandering around and about 'in' Google...Finally, I've found the solution. But it took several futile attempts (and of course, several nasty words to go along with it) before I could successfully update my Nokia Lumia 800 to the latest OS 7.10.8773.98 and firmware 1750.0805.8773.1220 updates.
As promised by NOKIA, this updates will enable the long awaited WiFi tethering. With a touch (or rather slide) of a button, you can now share your internet connection with up to 5 guests. Bliss...!
But, it has to be said, the trick to updating your phone is quite tricky. You need to do the following:
1. Set your phone to flight mode, then connect it to your PC.
2. Start your Zune (if doesn't starts automatically)
3. As usual, go to phone>setting>update.
Zune will perform 2 things; searching for updates and determine whether the updates are for the region and operator once updates were found.
4. This is where it starts to get quite tricky. you have to disconnect your PC internet connection while Zune is searching for the updates. It requires a bit of luck to get the timing correct (otherwise you'll get error messages e.g. can't find updates or your phone is up to date)
5. My advise is to record the duration at which Zune took to complete those two tasks for at least three times. By doing this you'll be able to guess the correct timing to disconnect your internet connection when Zune has finished performing the first task (searching for updates).
If you get the timing correct, Zune couldn't be able to determine if the updates found was meant to be released for your region/operator.
6. Wait for a while. assuming that you have timed internet connection accurately, you should get the message "updates available".
7. Connect your PC back to the internet, follow the steps and enjoy your latest updates.